Following are the requirements for admission to the Massage Therapy Certificate program. Parker University seeks the most qualified candidates.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age at the time of admission.
- Complete an online or print application and submit application fee of $25
- Students also have the option to fill out a transcript authorization/release form available from the Admissions/Registrar’s Office to allow Parker to request transcripts on the student’s behalf.
- Transcripts will be requested from high school, if less than 12 hours of college credit has been earned, and all higher education institutions where credits were earned. Students with less than 12 hours of earned college credit who completed the GED for high school credit should fill out the transcript authorization/release form and the Office of the Registrar will verify credit.
- Registrar’s Office will evaluate transcripts and send an evaluation letter reflecting final determinations of degree compliance and/or deficiencies.
- Acceptance and Reservation Deposit is required.
Physical Qualifications for Admission to Massage Therapy Certificate program
Parker University School of Massage Therapy has established physical qualifications for admission to the massage program. These minimum qualifications are essential to prepare and practice as a massage therapist. Students at the university must be able to perform at a high level of competency in all phases of the classroom, clinic and laboratory activities because they will ultimately use this knowledge as massage therapists.
The physical qualifications are:
- The student must possess sufficient coordination and use of both upper limbs to perform proper massage therapy.
- The student must possess manual dexterity to perform in the various clinical and classroom requirements without posing a threat to themselves, clients, or fellow students.
- The student must have the ability to stand to perform therapies.
- The student must hear and see – appropriately assisted if needed – well enough to record client histories, to provide routine safety instructions, and conduct a massage session without constant supervision.
Persons with disabilities are eligible for admission, as long as they can carry out classroom, laboratory and clinical assignments. Including client intake, assessment and techniques, or the equivalent; pass written, oral and practical examinations; and meet all of the requirements of the school. Parker University will make reasonable accommodations for disabilities. Applicants and students are welcome to discuss any disabilities that they believe will hinder completion of the curriculum. In considering a prospective or actual applicant who discloses a disability, Parker University may require an interview to determine if the individual meets the physical qualifications to complete the program. The Coordinator of Student Assistance can provide more information regarding accommodations that Parker University might be able to provide.
International Students Requirements for Massage Therapy Certificate program
- Submit an online application: admissions application
- It is the student’s responsibility to contact one of the following organizations to request that a foreign transcript review be prepared and mailed directly to Parker University, Registrar’s Office, 2540 Walnut Hill Lane, Dallas, TX 75229. (This does not apply to Canadian students.) Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc., P.O. Box 92970, Milwaukee, WI 53202-0970. Phone: 414-289-3400. Web: www.ece.org or World Education Services, Inc., P.O. Box 745, Old Chelsea Station, New York, NY 10113-0745. Web: www.wes.org.
- Submit an original letter of support from a financial sponsor: Pledging to provide funding to pursue educational goals in the United States; No photocopies or facsimiles accepted; Written on the financial sponsor’s personal or business stationary; Signed by the sponsor; You may sponsor yourself.
- Submit an original letter of financial ability: Documenting sponsor’s capability to financially support you (this is often called the “bank letter”); Written and signed by an officer or official of your sponsor’s financial institution on the institution’s letterhead and bearing a current date; No photocopies or facsimiles accepted; Stating the financial sponsor has at least $38,630 available for the student’s financial support (this amount is subject to change – check with your international advisor before submitting).
- Submit the completed educational experience form. List all colleges and universities that you have attended.
- Submit a completed financial information form. List all expected financial aid that you are planning to use from your country or any other sources to finance your education at Parker. If dependents are accompanying the student, list them on the financial information form, otherwise, they will not be able to enter the United States.
- Submit all official transcripts: Submit to Parker University, Registrar’s Office, 2540 Walnut Hill Lane, Dallas, TX, 75229. It is the student’s responsibility to request that official transcripts be sent from all prior institutions where credits were earned. Official transcripts must be mailed directly to the Registrar’s Office at Parker University. A transcript stamped “Issued to Student” or hand-carried into the Registrar’s Office is not considered to be an official transcript.
- Provide course descriptions for all science prerequisite courses that were completed at a college or university outside the United States. Descriptions must detail lecture and lab contact hours. This is not applicable to Canadian students.
- Submit official ETS/TOEFL scores (Test of English as a Foreign Language) for students whose primary language is not English. Contact ETS/TOEFL at PO Box 6151, Princeton, NJ, 08541-6151, USA; Phone: 800-257-9547. Students must obtain these minimum scores: Paper-Based Test (PBT) – 550; Computer-Based Test (CBT) – 213; Internet-Based Test (IBT) – Total score of 79 or above comprised of the following minimums: Reading: 21; Writing: 18; Speaking: 19; Listening: 21. The scores must be submitted directly to Parker University from the ETS/TOEFL office to be considered official. International students holding a bachelor’s degree wholly obtained in the United States can be waived from the TOEFL requirement at the discretion of the international student advisor.
- Provide proof of health insurance.
*Policies applicable to foreign students only and do not apply to green card holders.