Counseling Services On CampusThe Office of Counseling Services are available to all students, and their spouses. The service is provided by a full-time counselor who can assist the student in the following areas:
Academic (e.g., study skills; test-taking anxiety; managing stress) Personal (e.g., self-confidence; social skills; anxiety; depression; self-esteem) Marital/Couple (e.g., communication skills; conflict resolution; lack of intimacy) Interpersonal difficulties (e.g., parent/family problems; peer conflicts)
The Office of Counseling Services is located in the Department of Student Affairs (South 209–above the Donovan Lounge) and is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Jacquelyn Elbel, Ph.D. is a licensed psychologist who has been at Parker since the Fall of 1988.
email@example.com (972) 438-6932 x7155
Schedule an Appointment
To schedule an appointment please complete the counseling request form available under documents or in the Department of Student Affairs office (S209).
Guidance Resources OnlineGuidance Resources Online provides expert information on the issues that matter most: relationships, work, school, children, wellness, legal, financial, and more. See the website for timely articles, help sheets. tutorials, streaming videos, and self-assessments. “Ask the Expert” provides personal responses to your questions. Child care, elder care, attorney and financial planner searches are also available. You will need to register to have access to these services and information.
- The objective of counseling is to help clients improve their well-being, alleviate their distress, resolve their crisis and increase their ability to solve problems and make decisions. Counselors enable and facilitate psychological growth and development by helping clients better use existing resources and skills or by guiding them in developing new ways to help themselves.
- A counseling appointment typically lasts 50 minutes, and is free to Parker University students and their spouses.
- Your appointment times are reserved exclusively for you. If you cannot keep your appointment, please contact the office as soon as possible so that others may utilize the time. If you miss an appointment please contact the counselor to reschedule.
- The office telephone number is 972-438-6932 x7155; you may leave a message for any of the counselors on their voice mailbox at any time of the day or night. If a crisis arises during the evening or weekend, you may contact Compsych Guidance Resources at 1-800-272-7255.
- You have the right to decide if you desire counseling services. If you prefer a professional from the community, we shall provide you with the names of other qualified therapists. You have the right to terminate counseling at any time without any moral or legal obligation.
- All information revealed by you to the counselor will be kept strictly confidential and will not be revealed to any other person or agency without your written permission except those situations which by law a counselor is required to report. These include: (1) if you threaten bodily harm or death to yourself or another person; (2) if you report the physical or sexual abuse of a minor child; (3) if you report the physical or sexual abuse of an elderly person (4) if you report sexual abuse or exploitation by a mental health provider.
- Any complaints against a counselor may be reported to the Dean of Student Affairs or though the counselor’s professional licensing board.
Confidential Counseling Services 24/7ComPsych offers Parker students three types of services.
Counseling Services: ComPsych offers free counseling and guidance available 24 hours a day seven days a week via a toll-free phone number, e-mail, or internet. ComPsych employees work with students in crisis, assess behavioral and emotional health, and make referrals to providers for a limited number of free telephonic or in-person counseling sessions.
Legal Support: Talk to an attorney by phone about a variety of concerns including landlord/tenant issues, debt, divorce and family law, and contracts. If you require representation you will be referred to an attorney in your area for a free 30-minute consultation with a 25% reduction in customary legal fees thereafter.
Financial Information and Resources: Speak by phone with a Certified Public Accountant and Certified Financial Planner on a wide range of financial issues including tax questions, credit card or loan problems, or getting out of debt.
To Access: Call 800.272.7255. TDD: 800.697.0353.
ID: PARKU (You will need to register on the ComPsych site)