Parker Seminars Dallas: September 23-25
Parker's Picks in Downtown Dallas and Immediate Area
Did you know...?
The Dallas Arts District is the largest urban arts district in the country, with three major art museums, the Meyerson Symphony Center and many galleries, architectural treasures and public sculptures. Now with the completion of the AT&T Performing Arts Center, the Dallas Arts District has more buildings designed by Pritzker prize-winning architects in one location than anywhere else in the world! Take some time and explore what Dallas has to offer for the family, in dining, shopping, and night life. Dallas has something for everyone!
For the Family
- Crow Collection of Asian Art - features over 600 paintings, metal and stone works, large architectural pieces from China, Japan, India and Southeast Asia. Admission is free.
- Dallas World Aquarium - features 80,000 gallons of saltwater exhibits including stingrays, sharks, reef fish living in coral reef ecosystems and much, much more! Visit the latest exhibit - Orinoco - Secrets of the River.
- Dallas Arboretum - Just minutes from downtown, the arboretum displays 66 acres of floral gardens.
- The Children's Museum at the Museum of Nature and Science - Interactive, hands-on cultural exhibits.
- Dallas Museum of Art - Explore paintings, sculptures and other media, of the Americas, and international collection of works from Europe, Africa and Asia.
- Nasher Sculpture Center - Art collection specializing in modern and contemporary sculpture.
- House of Blues - Soulful Founder, Issac Tigrett's love for unique American art - "the Blues" comes to life as he introduces the world to the music of his childhood - Blues, Rhythm and Blues, Gospel, Jazz and Rock & Roll along with some tastes of the south cuisine. The House of Blues is dedicated to educating and celebrating the history of Southern Culture and African American artistic contributions to music and art.
- Cool Thursdays Concert Series September 23 - 7pm-9pm Briefcase Blues is a live musical show-band and revue based on the comical “Blues Brothers” characters, originally created by Saturday Night Live comedians Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi. Put on your blue suede shoes and come “shake a tail feather” with these hilarious Jake and Elwood look-a-likes. For concert information, contact the Dallas Arboretum at 214.515.6518.
- All About Uptown Festival - This is a one day festival exploring the best of Uptown from live music, food & drink, legendary chefs cooking demonstrations, artisans, historic tours of the areas Victorian homes, trolley system and activities for the kids.
- Six Flags Over Texas
- Hurricane Harbor
- State Fair of Texas
- Sixth Floor Museum
- Victory Park
Just steps away from the Dallas Fairmont Hotel . . .
Just a taxi ride away . . .
Shopping in Dallas is renowned for its international selection. As the saying goes: "If it cannot be found in Dallas, it cannot be found anywhere."
- West Village -Uptown Dallas - A quaint area in the Uptown District that includes restaurnats, unique shops, clubs and five-screen art movie theatres
- Galleria Dallas - shopping treasures await you just 12 miles from the Fairmont Dallas Hotel. The Dallas Galleria is home to Nordstrom, Macy's Saks Fifth Avenue, Louis Vuitton, Guicci, Cartier, Tiffany & Co. Gianni Versace, Hugo Boss and almost 200 more world class stores. Take a break from shopping and experience the five screen movie theatre, 28 restaurants, and an ice rink!
- NorthPark Center - Features more than 160 shops including Neiman Marcus, Macys, Dillards, Coach, J.Crew, Montblanc, Burberry's and more!
- Highland Park Village - combinations of the the past and the present. More than 80 shops, restaurants specializing in personal service. Modernized and updated, the Highland Park Village
still holds its charm with the original Spanish architecture including terra cotta roofs, stucco walls and intricate iron designs.
- Neiman Marcus - setting the standard in fashion and elegance is just minutes away!
- Stanley Korshak - specialty store for fine men and women apparel, cosmetics, shoes and unique home decor, linen boutique, and a full-service bridal and precious jewelry salon.
- West End District
- House of Blues
- Sambuca Uptown (Dallas) - listen to live music, show off your dancing skills or relax with friends listening to jazz music.
- Obar (Dallas) - A high-end subterranean establishment whose modern design unites brick walls angular geometry, molded plastic chairs and pendant lighting, plush ottomans and flat-screen TVs.
- Ginger Man - Set in a quaint house, the Ginger Man features a collection of imported and domestic beers as well as a large selection of international wines.
- Ghostbar (Victory Park) - Sleek environment, classy cocktails, floor-to-ceiling windows with magnificant views of downtown.
- Stoneleight P - Live music, award-winning juke box music. The place got its name with old pharmacy shelves of what was a former school. The name had to be changed due to an old city law requiring all pharmacies to be licensed. Located at 2926 Maple Avenue in Dallas, Texas 75201.
- Thomas Avenue Beverage Company - (TABC) - located in the heart of the bustling Uptown area. Neighborhood bar feel
- West End District - Known for nightlife, the West End is where the Dixie Chicks became famous playing on the steps of the old marketplace along with music legends like Van Halen and Eddie Money. The West End is now home to the House of Blues, and internationally known Mambo Café. Lunch, dinner or late night you’re sure to find surprising locals entertainers and musicians performing on the street for passersby delight.
Free Downtown TrolleyThe M-Line's electric trolley cars wind their way through historic Uptown, one of the most vibrant neighborhoods in Dallas. The trolley route connects three major areas: Cityplace West Village, the McKinney Avenue area and the Arts District. All of the hot spots in Uptown are just a short walk away. Catch the McKinney Avenue trolley to the Fairmont Dallas Hotel. For more information, contact 972.522.8620
Discover Dallas Tours - Specialty tour company providing excitng tours in the Dallas - Fort Worth area. Discover Dallas Tours offers a variety of tour options in both cities featuring all the best sights and sounds. Tour guides are fun, friendly, and experienced. From the Big D to Cowtown! Join one of our daily excursions and let us show you that famous Texas hospitality.